Sir Arthur Lewis Community College
The Sir Arthur Lewis Community College is the most attended and recognized college in Saint Lucia as a place of education offering instruction in:
· Arts Science and General Studies;
· Health Science;
· Teacher Education and Educational Administration
· Technical Education and Management Studies
And in such other fields of education as the Minister may from time to time determine. Prior to the establishment of the Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, tertiary education was provided at three separate institutions situated at Morne Fortune, each with a Principal. These institutions were referred to as the Morne Educational Complex and were as follows:
· “The St. Lucia Teacher’s College” (established in 1963 at Sans Soucis and later transfered to Morne Fortune in 1968;
· “The Morne Fortune Technical College” (established at the Morne in 1970);
· “The St. Lucia ‘A’ Level College” (Established at the Moare in 1974).
Morne Fortune simply referred to as The Morne has a long history of battles and bloodshed. The military ruins there were converted and refurbished for educational purposes with considerable assistance from the British Development Division of the United Kingdom. All natural building structures from colonial times remain in tack as a great tourist attraction today at the college.